Cranberries have recently become one of nature’s cancer-fighting foods. There are some fruits that are high in sugar and not such a good idea to eat too much of and some fruits that are extremely good for you. Cranberries are one of those fruits that are very good for you. You can eat them as a snack, fresh or dried. There are many ways you can use them in baking or as a sauce. They can be adapted to make a diabetic recipe taste a lot better. Cranberries do contain sugar, but it is still fine for diabetics to have cranberries in moderation.
The number one natural cancer-fighting food, tomatoes would be on the top ten cancer-fighting foods list, but cranberries would definitely follow closely as one of the cancer-fighting foods.
The Benefits of cranberries
- They contain antioxidants, which slow down the cancer cell growth and it may even prevent it from developing in the first place.
- Cranberry juice can kill pylori bacteria which can cause stomach cancer to develop.
- Extracts of chemicals in cranberry juice prevent breast cancer cells from spreading
- Cranberries are also an excellent source against the build up of cholesterol and heart disease.
- Diseases leading to the teeth, gums and other dental problems will be greatly reduced.
Cranberry and walnut biscotti
This is a recipe, which is healthy and tasty at the same time that contains cranberries. Diabetics just need to swap the sugar for a diabetic powdered sugar.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- ½ cup cranberries
- ½ cup walnuts
- Set the oven to 180°c
- Sift the flour and baking powder and stir in the sugar, eggs,
- vanilla essence, cranberries, and nuts.
- Form a dough out of the mixture and divide it in half
- Flatten the two halves and place them on a greased baking tray
- Leave in the oven for about 20 minutes
- Allow the biscuits to cool for 15 minutes and then slice into thumb-like shapes
- Set the temperature to 160°c.
- Place them on their sides and bake for another 15 minutes
Makes about 20 biscuits