One in four adults experience some form of mental health problems at some point in their lives. Anxiety, depression and severe mental problems such as schizophrenia affect not only the individuals concerned but also their families and friends. Mental health problems result in reduced quality of life and possibly loss of life. It is therefore important to understand mental distress and the ways it can be treated.
The free ALISON course “Mental Health and Illness” will help you understand mental health and mental illness, mental health practise and care in the community. This course will be of great interest to professionals in social and health professions, for anyone who has personal experience of mental health problems and anyone with a general interest in this important subject.
Mental Health and Illness Course Content
This course includes the following topics:
- Effective ways to help a person with a mental illness;
- New ways to build confidence and self-esteem, while reducing stress to significantly improve health;
- The positive impact exercise can have on mental health and psychological well-being;
- The role of a social worker in mental health services;
- A community resource center in action;
- The work carried out in your community today;
- The issues of stigma and discrimination in mental health in the community;
- The history of institutions and segregation.
Summary of Main Course Features
Duration: 2-3 Hours