The world will never be the same without doctors. Although there are a lot of professions that are considered very important these days, doctors by far are one of the most needed experts that we have in our society. This great demand for doctors is due to the fact that these professionals are the ones that are sought after when it comes to health. As we all know, health is a very significant matter and this is something that will always be part of our lives as humans even after hundreds of years. Because of this, the expertise of doctors will always be used in many generations to come. But what exactly are doctors? What are these health experts capable of doing and what is their position in providing health care to people? Below are some of the interesting facts about doctors as well as some of the important details with regards to their job description.
What is a Doctor?
A doctor or otherwise known as a physician is a registered or authorized health care provider that practices the profession of medicine, which is concerned to the promotion, maintenance and restoration of the health of man through the means of study, diagnosis and treatment or cure of diseases, injuries and as well as other types of physical and even mental impairments or abnormalities. These professionals focus their practice to specific or certain disease categories as well as the types of patients and/or methods of treatment, which are known as the specialist medical practitioners. In addition to this, they also assume the responsibility for the provision of continuous and comprehensive medical treatment and management to patients or clients that can be individuals, families or even the entire community. These are known as the general practitioners.
In order to provide authentic and accurate medical practice, a doctor is required to possess a detailed knowledge about the academic disciplines, which includes the anatomy and physiology as well as the underlying diseases and their treatment. Nevertheless, the role of a doctor or a physician varies depending on the qualifications and the degrees all over the world. However, similarities in the ethics of medicine are also present, which shows that all physicians must be compassionate and considerate to their clients or patients and as well as show them benevolence.
Facts on Doctors
Doctors of medicine are also categorized based on their different medical specialties and as well as the patient population. Below are some of the common types of medical physicians these days.
• Primary Care – primary care is further divided into two types namely the family medicine and the internal medicine. The former deals with patients of all ages and provides basic care for a variety of common health problems or ailments. The latter, on the other hand, can sub specialize to a variety of areas including gastroenterology or endocrinology. Internists are also more equipped with hospital training and experience compared to family physicians. They usually also do not cater patients below the age of 18.
• Hospitalist – Another type of doctors is the hospitalist. The hospitalist is the one that can see patients only in the hospital setting. Many hospitalists are trained physicians in internal medicine. They however, prefer hospital work rather than clinic based setting.
• Surgeon – A surgeon is one of the most common types of doctors in the medical field. They are also trained in general surgery and can specialize in different types of surgery such as orthopedic surgery, neurosurgery or operation, cardiac surgery and a lot more. However, the training of most surgeons last longer than primary care doctors and usually spends most of their time inside operating rooms of hospitals and outpatient surgery center.
• Cardiologists – cardiologists are those that focus on the treatment of heart and blood vessel problems of the cardiovascular system. Just like surgeons, cardiologists also spend more time in training after completion of three years of internal medicine residency.
• Dermatologists – Dermatologists are doctors that specifies on skin problems and skin enhancement or beautification procedures. These are in fact considered one of the top earning areas due to the high number of aesthetic and cash-pay elective procedures which includes botox, lasering and a lot more.
• Endocrinologists – Endocrinologists are those doctors with expertise that fall under the area of the endocrine system. The endocrine system is more on the different glands of the body as well as the hormones that are being produced. Diabetes is a common disease that is normally treated or handled by an endocrinologist.
These are just some of the most common types of doctors that we have these days. As we can see, the field of medicine is a very broad matter that requires professionals and experts in different areas of health. Other types of doctors not mentioned above includes gastroenterologists for digestive system abnormalities, infectious disease physicians for communicable diseases such as HIV, nephrologists for kidney problems, ophthalmologists for eye treatments, obstetrician and gynecologists or OB/GYN for women’s reproductive health, otolaryngologists or otorhinolaryngologists for problems in the ear, nose and throat (also includes the eye for EENT doctors), pediatricians that specify on child’s health, pulmonologists that tackles on lung or respiratory issues, neurologists that deals with problems concerning the nervous system and the psychiatrists that handles problems with mental health.