Hair color usually depends on the ethnicity of people. Most Caucasians are blonde or brunette while Asians and Blacks do have dark brown or jet-black colored hair. The hair color is a result of the pigmentation that is due to the chemicals known as eumelanin and phaeomelanin. In general, the more melanin is present in the hair, the darker the color will be and vice versa. Some people may also have more than one color at a time. Nevertheless, hair color usually changes as we age. As we grow older, hair color begins to fade. This is the reason why grey hair is evident among older adults. But the question is, is there a cure for grey hair?
Why do we get Grey Hair?
Grey hair is usually thought as a sign of wisdom. Grey hair occurs when the follicle of the hair is unable to produce color to the strands due to the lack of melanin in the body. Just like what is mentioned earlier, melanin is the one responsible if providing color to the hair. A lack of this component can lead to the cause of grey hair. Nevertheless, grey hair before were only associated to people starting old age. Unfortunately, younger individuals these days tend to experience grey hair as well.
Causes of Grey Hair
There are actually a lot of factors that can lead to the occurrence of grey hair aside from old age. One of the reasons is due to the experience of stress and tension. Encountering stressful incidences that can also cause or produce a lot of tension can lead to early graying of hair. Naturally, when a person reaches the age of 40 and above, hair is already expected to lose it natural color. This is linked to the body’s decrease in melanin production causing grey hairs to erupt. However, this can still depend on a case to case basis.
Another possible cause or triggering factor that can lead to grey hair is smoking. Smoking is in fact considered one of the most common causes of graying hair in younger individuals. As we already know, smoking is a great hazard to our health, which can also take its toll on the color of hair. Some illnesses and diseases can also lead to premature aging or graying of hair as well as some drugs that are known to have side effects that can cause early change in hair color.
Treating Grey Hair
Fortunately, there are still some ways in order to treat grey hair effectively. One of the most obvious and sought after treatment for grey or discolored hair is the application of cosmetic treatments or dyeing and coloring. Using dyes and artificial coloring can efficiently cover the graying of hair. However, this technique is only temporary, which can last only for approximately 3 to 4 months. Other hair cosmetics used in treating discoloration is also proven effective in masking the true color of hair. Nevertheless, these things too are not capable of delaying the process of getting grey colored hair. Because of this, more and more people are relying on the benefits of natural remedies, which can help treat the graying or the aging process of the hair rather than covering the side effects of it.
Natural Remedies for Grey Hair
Although natural remedies are effective in hindering the aging process of hair, these things too require patience and hard work. Some of these processes require months in order to make the effects or the benefits visible. Continuing the use of these methods can likewise provide longer lasting results for the hair. Below are some of the effective remedies.
• Use of Curd – using curd is effective in preventing grey hair. Mixing about 100 grams of it with a gram of black pepper before applying evenly on hair can provide satisfying results. This must be maintained for about an hour before it could be rinsed with warm water and mild shampoo. This can be done at least once a week in order to see the outcome faster. Aside from changes in color, hair texture would also be remarkably noticed. Dandruff problems can also be treated with curd, which can cause smoother and softer hair. The addition of black pepper can add color to the hair.
• Use of Sesame Oil – The use of sesame oil or olive oil with the juice of bottle gourd can also be useful in treating grey hair. The mixture must be applied on the hair making it longer, shinier and darker in color. This method likewise helps in preventing hair fall and hair discoloration which improves the overall health of hair.
• Use of Gooseberries and Mango Seeds – this only requires applying both ingredients on hair and leaving it for the follicles to absorb before washing. This must be done in regular intervals in order to provide good hair treatment.
• Use of Tea Leaves – Tea leaves can be used with water as a treatment for graying hair. The strained juice of tea leaves and water must be mixed with two spoonfuls of salt before applying on hair. This must be rinsed after only an hour with plain water. This can be done once in every 10 days in order to see faster results.
• Use of Henna – Henna paste from iron vessel can also be used as an effective method against grey hair. This can be added with walnut pulp in the morning. This requires the hair to be placed on a bun before leaving it overnight before it dries. Once done, the hair must be washed gently. This can enhance the color of hair adding a reddish-tinged to it while preventing grey hair from sprouting. This too helps in conditioning the hair.
These are just some of the effective techniques in preventing grey hair from happening even at a very young age. These remedies are considered completely natural and harmless for the hair, the scalp and the skin. By religiously following to these methods, we can assure the delay of grey hair in no time.
What are Your Views on This? Leave a Comment