20% of the global population has a disability, which means most of us will have an experience of disability in our lives, whether it be personally, through our family and friends, or in our workplaces and communities. It’s often assumed that people with disabilities can’t have a good life. In the Future Learn course “Disability and a Good Life: Thinking through Disability“, you will learn how disability is part of who we are as human beings, and how a good life is possible for everyone.
Disability and a Good Life Course Content
This course, and its sister course Working with Disability, reflect on how disability is part of who we are as human beings. These courses will give you and your fellow learners the opportunity to think through and work with some of the big issues facing societies, governments, and disabled people.
The course includes the following topics:
- The way we think about and understand things shapes the way we act;
- How understandings of people with disabilities have changed over time;
- Core concepts in the social understanding of disability;
- What it means to have a good life;
- Thinking about and discussing contemporary disability issues such as disability politics, history and disability across the life course;
- What a good life might mean for a diversity of people, including people with disabilities;
- How a good life might be enabled for all.
Resources and strategies to support your learning include:
- Written, audio and visual resources (transcripts and audio descriptions/files provided);
- Stories from people with disabilities;
- Interviews with leading disability studies experts;
- Talking Points to help guide online comments;
- A glossary of terms;
- A Learner Guide, Mel, who will show you how she has worked through the course material
an opportunity to take your learning further through activities to extend and expand your knowledge.
This course is suitable for both beginners and experts wanting to raise their awareness of disability and disability-related issues within a global context.
Summary of Main Course Features
- Created by: University of New South Wales
- Educators: Louisa Smith, Leanne Dowse, Kelley Johnson, Karen Soldatic and Jos Boys
- Duration: 6 weeks x 5 hours per week
- Starts Date: 24 Oct 2016
- Certificates available