In the food industry, there are various kinds of scrumptious meals that diners would love to consume. These foods are especially tempting and have their own exceptional flavor. This is among the reasons why individuals have their personal favorite food. Currently, there are various ingredients one can purchase to produce your favorite food. Though, there is a very widespread ingredient that a lot of chefs make use of to enhance taste. Normally, Monosodium Glutamate or MSG is used in different kinds of dishes all over the world.
Monosodium Glutamate is typically a type of ingredient that enhances flavor. It is a very common ingredient contained in numerous dishes and food additives like stock cubes, catsup, barbecue sauce, salad dressings, canned foods, junk foods, jerky, steaks, fries, and seasoning mix. Various clinical experiments emphasize the damaging effects of this ingredient to our bodies. These demonstrate that regular ingestion of the said flavor enhancer can soon develop tolerance to its flavor. When the tolerance occurs, a person would have a tendency to desire for additional MSG in order to acquire food contentment. Unfortunately, many of them do not realize that this can result into MSG intoxication which can further lead to undesirable complications.
On the other hand, MSG can also be the cause of an allergic reaction. If an individual who is allergic to MSG takes in food with MSG, that person will usually undergo a hypersensitivity reaction caused by the immune system. After consumption, the immune system would tag the ingredient as a foreign intruder and start the inflammatory mechanism. General symptoms of most allergic reactions are nausea, vomiting, headache, dizziness, abdominal pain, diarrhea, and skin rash. In severe instances, anaphylactic condition occurs resulting into a constrained airway and breathing due to the systemic inflammation.
Several different clinical experiments have been done related to MSG allergy. The experiments reveal that MSG can also cause the neurons in the body to fire and start the hypersensitivity reaction. Furthermore, MSG also boosts the levels of histamine, a type of inflammatory chemical mediator, by approximately 150%. The increased firing of neurons and boosted histamine levels produce the typical symptoms and most likely anaphylactic response.
Many wise men state that prevention is better than cure. To apply that phrase, individuals allergic to MSG have to keep away from foods that contain the ingredient. That person should be very meticulous on his intake of food. If the allergy is present, give a dose of epinephrine each day especially in extreme cases with anaphylactic shock. If you have an allergy to MSG, it is best to get in touch with a doctor about the treatments and managements.
What are Your Views on This? Leave a Comment