Fleas are considered to be one of the major enemies of cats. Most of us think that fleas are only for dogs; however, these parasites could also attack our feline pets. One of the most common signs of fleas in cats is the continuous scratching of the animal. In case the cat is not suffering from any other skin conditions, this can already indicate the presence of fleas in the cat’s body. If this particular infestation is not treated properly and immediately, it can cause terrible complications to the health of the cat and can even become the cause of its death. However, there are still a number of things that we can do in order to prevent these awful things from happening. What’s even better is that we don’t need to spend a lot of money in order to treat our pets efficiently. All we need to do is to learn the different natural flea remedies for cats.
More on Cat Fleas
Once we discover that our pet cat is suffering from fleas, it is advisable for us to seek for professional assistance in order to get rid of the parasites fast. However, we can also rely on the use of some natural remedies, which are also very effective in combating these fleas. But before we discuss the different types of remedies that we can use, we need to know first more about the cat flea. The cat flea, which is scientifically called as Ctenocephalides felis, primarily attacks cats. However, they can also cause problems on other animals like dogs, rodents and rabbits and as well as in humans. The female flea is capable of placing her eggs on the cat’s skin, which can become larvae and can later turn to immature fleas before becoming adults.
Learning Ways in Getting Rid of Cat Fleas
One thing that we need to know about cat flea remedies is that they are more on keeping the environment clean and healthy. As we all know, good sanitation can always help in the elimination of pests and parasites from our home. Because of this, some of the remedies that will be mentioned below will be about keeping the surroundings tidy and away from trash and other factors that can lure or attract these parasites to our pet cats.
• Vacuum all the different spaces and furniture at home – regular vacuuming of the carpets, rugs, floor boards, pet beddings and other indoor objects can help in preventing flea infestations through the removal of flea cocoons that can be located anywhere in the house. We can try using the all natural flea collars since it can eliminate the fleas effectively.
• Do a regular yard cleanup – another thing that we can do is to make sure that our outdoors are regularly cleaned. This includes cleaning the gardens and as well as our yards. These fleas love to thrive on wet and/or moist environments, which means that the damp soil of our yards is a perfect place for these fleas to flourish. However, if good sanitation is provided and maintained, like keeping the grass cut and short and removing dried debris of plants, there will be a lesser chance for these fleas to live longer.
• Promote spider, ant and bird population in the area – Birds, ants and spiders are considered to be the greatest predators of these fleas. Spiders and ants love to eat flea eggs and larvae while some birds also feed on adult fleas like sparrows and starlings. Having these creatures in our property can help reduce the population of fleas, which can prevent them from infesting our pets.
• Use of vinegar and water – vinegar and water are actually good repellants of fleas. These ingredients can be placed inside a spray bottle in order for it to be easily used on pet beddings, carpets and as well as on the skin of our cats.
• The use of cedar shavings – cedar shavings are also very useful in eliminating cat fleas. These shavings can be sprinkled around the house, the garden, and as well as inside the flowerbeds. These shavings can also be used as fillings for cat pillows in order for the cat to lie on.
• Use the benefits of Hydrogen peroxide – in washing some of our cats, we can place hydrogen peroxide on the tub in order for it to come in contact with the cat’s skin. This can provide immediate reaction to the fleas; however, this procedure must not be done regularly since it can also cause the cats coat to lighten, which can last for approximately 2 weeks.
• The use of flea combs and detergent water – there are actually available flea combs in many pet shops that can aid in the removal of the fleas from our cat’s skin. This non toxic method of removing the fleas is considered to be effective without causing any negative side effects. Any fleas that can attach to the comb can be removed by submerging the comb in a bowl filled with water and detergent. This prevents the fleas from going back to the cat’s fur.
These are just some of the effective ways and items that we can do and use in order to target the annoying cat fleas. Eliminating these parasites will not only benefit our beloved pet cats, but it can also prevent the fleas from attacking humans. Because of this, it is a NO FOR CAT FLEAS!