What is psoriasis? Psoriasis is defined as a type of chronic skin disease that is characterized by the presence of raised red skin patches with thick and silvery scales. The skin can also exhibit red and scaly texture and can likewise develop pustules. This depends on the type of psoriasis a person has. Experts believe that psoriasis is a hereditary condition. This makes it difficult for us to treat this kind of skin problem. However, there are still some ways that we can do in order to combat psoriasis. These include the natural psoriasis remedies that are already used in many countries in treating the said skin condition.
Identifying the Different Natural Remedies for Psoriasis
There are actually a lot of natural remedies that we can use in order to treat psoriasis. However, not all is considered to be effective to all cases of the mentioned skin problem. Nevertheless, below are some of the commonly used natural treatments to help cure or manage psoriasis.
• Dead Sea Salts – The dead seas salts are considered a traditional natural healer. The use of this is said to be effective clearing of the remission of the disease. In fact, many people have already used this substance with great satisfaction. The therapeutic elements found in the Dead Sea are also considered to be efficient not only in clearing psoriasis but as well as in making the recurrences of the disease less severe.
• Water Therapy – Another effective method in managing psoriasis is the combination of bath sea salts and water. The use of Bokek Dead Sea Salt baths is actually recommended by dermatologists for patients with psoriasis, eczema and other types of dry skin problems. These therapeutic bath salts can be used on a daily basis at home or can also be done once in a week.
• Improving Food Choices – food can also greatly affect the condition of the skin. Although there has been no approved therapeutic diet yet to treat psoriasis, it is still helpful for patients to learn or to select foods that can provide them with the greatest health benefits. Nevertheless, there is still no specific diet that people suffering from psoriasis should follow. However, avoiding foods that can cause the condition of the skin to worsen such as fatty and oily foods can also be performed.
• Use of Herbs – herbs are considered to be effective in treating or managing the psoriasis condition of the skin. In fact, herbs have already been used by many people as a remedy against the said skin problem. Nevertheless, the use of medicinal herbs must also be monitored since some herbs can also cause adverse or negative side effects to health. Another type of plant base remedy that is known to help cure psoriasis is the extra virgin coconut oil. Health experts have already discovered a lot of benefits with the use of this natural product. Some people consume a tablespoon of the coconut oil every day, while other can apply the oil topically to the affected area of the skin.
• Increase Vitamin Intake – In order to improve and strengthen the human defense system, we must make sure that we take in enough vitamins and nutrients to the body. Doing this can actually provide a positive impact on psoriasis and other types of skin conditions. Supplements that are also considered to be effective against psoriasis include milk thistle, red clover, yellow dock, burdock, mountain grape and sarsaparilla. Nevertheless, just like most medicinal herbs, these supplements must also be taken in proper doses. This is the reason why it is very important to inform first the doctor before deciding upon taking any type of supplement which can interfere with the present prescribed medications by the doctor.
• Importance of a Positive Attitude – in effective treating of psoriasis, mental health can also play a huge role. Being mentally healthy and observing proper or positive attitude during the treatment of the skin condition can help speed up the recovery from many types of skin problems. Although seeing psoriasis affect our skin can be a very difficult thing to go through, it is still helpful if we are positive with the outcome of the treatment that we are applying.
• Non Prescription Products – there are also a number of over-the-counter medications, body products and treatment items that we can use in order to help us in treating psoriasis. These include natural moisturizing products in order to prevent the skin from drying. Aloe vera is in fact a very effective treatment against psoriasis. There are already a number of body products such as lotion that contain aloe vera, which can be very effective in promoting good skin condition. Other products that can be used in skin conditions such as psoriasis include witch hazel, tea tree oil, capsaicin and evening primrose oil.
• Increase Light Exposure – exposing the psoriasis lesions to a controlled amount of sunlight can also help in the reduction of their size and as well as the improvement of their appearance. Nevertheless, the too much sunlight exposure can also aggravate the situation. This is the reason why exposure to the sun must be done for approximately 10 to 20 minutes only. In addition to this, applying sunscreen with at least an SPF of 15 can already be useful and effective.
These are just some of the natural remedies that we can use in order to treat and prevent psoriasis. Managing psoriasis is indeed not an easy thing to do; however, incorporating these natural treatments with our lifestyle can give us a huge help in fighting the condition.