Every part of our body can be affected by a certain disease, ailment or condition. This makes us very vulnerable and always at risk for experiencing different health problems. One of the problems that can affect our legs is called the restless leg or the restless leg syndrome (RLS). This condition is characterized by the voluntary constant movement of the legs in order to achieve comfort and satisfaction. The symptom is usually noticed when the person is lying down or in a similar position for an extended period. Although this condition is still considered rare, there are already a number of ways for us to do in order to treat or manage this type of leg problem. Below are some of the natural remedies for restless leg syndrome.
Diagnosing Restless Leg Syndrome
It is important for us to consult our physician first with regards to the RLS before we can try out some of the natural cures for the condition. Some of the symptoms exhibited by this syndrome include the creeping or the crawling feeling located in the lower extremities. Usually, this sensation will cause us difficulty in doing certain things and as well as in achieving proper sleep at night. Nevertheless, there is still no diagnostic test in order to directly identify the restless leg syndrome. Doctors will usually rely on blood samples and sleep studies in order to determine whether the symptoms are indeed indications of the RLS.
Learning the Natural Remedies
Fortunately, there are some natural remedies that we can use in order to deal with the RL syndrome. These remedies include the following:
• Relaxation Techniques – doing relaxation remedies or techniques can actually help in alleviating the symptoms of the said syndrome. It is important for us to find enough time for us to relax so as to reduce the severity of the condition. Once of the considered suspects for having the RLS is none other than stress. This is the reason why meditation and deep breathing exercises in order to combat stress are found to be effective in improving the condition of people with RLS. We can also try taking long and warm baths that can help in lessening the symptoms of the condition. Leg massage before going to bed can also be efficient in keeping the legs relaxed and stationary.
• Prevention of Triggering Factors – aside from finding enough time to relax, it is also essential for us to avoid certain substances that are considered suspects in causing the restless leg syndrome. Some of these substances include alcohol, cigarettes and as well as caffeinated beverages. Other medications such as anti depressants and antacids are also linked to the occurrence of such syndrome in the legs.
• Increase Intake of the Mineral Iron – Increasing the intake of foods that are considered to be high or rich in the mineral iron can also be a great help in reducing the episodes of RLS. Studies have shown that iron deficiency in the body is one of the main or major links to the condition. This is the reason why eating foods rich in iron such as liver, beef, shrimp, turkey, mussels, clams and fortified breakfast cereals can be a huge advantage in eliminating the RL syndrome. In case we lack iron through our diet, then we can always try taking iron supplements.
• Improving Sleep Routine – there are also a number of ways that we can do in order to improve our sleep condition every night. One of these is through the modification of the environment or the bedroom in order to make it more relaxing and conducive for sleep. We can also try placing a pillow in between the leg in order to keep them from having episodes of RLS. Having a regular sleep schedule can also prevent stress and fatigue in the body. Aside from this, making sure that the room temperature is ideal for sleeping can also provide more comfort, which can help in the prevention of RLS.
• Provide Proper Body Exercise – in one of the studies conducted in Harvard Medical School, the lack of exercise and obesity has been associated to the presence of the symptoms of the RLS. Specifically, the increase in abdominal fat has been linked to the increase risk of RLS. This suggests that dieting and regular exercise is very important not just to lose weight and keep the body fit, but as well as to prevent certain conditions such as the RLS. This has been tried and tested by a lot of people who have suffered from the restless leg syndrome. In another study conducted in Pennsylvania State University, people who walk at a moderately fast pace for 30 minutes have shown great improvement in reducing the symptoms of RLS. In general, it is recommended that moderate exercise must be done or performed early in the day. Doing yoga and other physical exercises are also considered to be useful.
These are some of the natural remedies or cures in order to combat the restless leg syndrome. The restless leg syndrome may not be as common as the other types of diseases and ailments in the body. However, this problem must always be given equal attention and appropriate and immediate intervention.