Underactive thyroid or otherwise known as hypothyroidism is a type of health condition that affects a lot of people nowadays. Hypothyroidism is considered a thyroid problem that is caused by the low activity of the thyroid gland. The thyroid gland is the one that produces the thyroid hormones that are very essential in the functioning of the body. Unfortunately, a lot of people are unaware that they are already suffering from this kind of problem since the symptoms of hypothyroidism can vary and can be difficult to define. Most of these symptoms also mimic the symptoms of other types of conditions. However, there are a number of things that we can use in order to treat hypothyroidism. Below are some of the effective and proven natural remedies for underactive thyroid.
Learning about the Thyroid
The thyroid is a small gland that is located in the middle of the lower portion of the neck. In other words, it is located below the larynx or under the Adam’s apple of males. Just like what is mentioned above, this gland manufactures the thyroid hormones that allow the body to perform various functions, which are considered very essential for our day to day survival. It also works in cooperation with the pituitary gland in order to produce the thyroid stimulating hormone or the TSH. Curing or treating underactive thyroid is not an easy thing to do. Nevertheless, with the help of lifestyle changes and other treatments or remedies, the symptoms of this condition can be significantly reduced. Some of the most common symptoms of hypothyroidism include fatigue, brittleness of the nails and hair and as well as weight gain.
Identifying the Natural Remedies/Methods to Combat Hypothyroidism
There are actually several steps or ways that we can do at home in order to manage the hypothyroidism condition of our body. Some of these ways include the following:
- Always make sure that we are surrounded with good support system. This includes our family, our friends and our love ones. Having these significant people around can aid us in combating the effects of underactive thyroid and give us more confidence in facing the condition.
- It is also important to educate ourselves with this particular condition. Knowing all the important details regarding this health problem can help us deal with the situation a lot better.
- We should also include our doctors, naturopaths, therapists, homeopaths and other people that can be of assistance in order to treat underactive thyroids properly.
- Maintaining a positive attitude in facing hypothyroidism is also necessary since it gives us more drive and determination in fighting the side effects of the health condition.
- Just like in most other types of health diseases, it is vital to always include a healthy and well balanced diet. This is one way of keeping our body fit, despite the contradicting effects of hypothyroidism. The thyroid gland also requires a wide array of nutrients in order for it to function optimally. Adding essential fatty acids to the diet is also useful, which can be seen in many cold water fish like salmon and cod. Walnuts, flaxseeds and almonds are also considered great sources of fatty acids. In case our diet cannot compensate with the required amount of nutrients for the body, we can always try taking fish oil supplements. This too also contains high in fatty acids and other nutrients. The consumption of seaweed, chlorella and algae is also advisable. These foods are useful in maintaining the thyroid function balance.
- Including iodine rich foods in the diet is also very ideal. Iodine is necessary for the healthy and proper functioning of the thyroid. Some of the most common foods that are high in this mineral are the salt water fish, shell fish and sea weeds.
- Including cruciferous vegetables in the diet is NOT advisable like broccoli, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, kale and cabbage. These vegetables contain natural thyroid blocking properties that can aggravate the low activity of the thyroid gland.
- Aside from eating healthy foods, doing regular physical activity and exercise is also required in order to keep the body in good shape. Weight gain is considered to be a primary effect of hypothyroidism, which is why doing regular workouts, can help in maintain a good body physique.
- Religiously take all the medications prescribed by the doctor that can help in combating the situation. These medications can help reduce the symptoms and as well as improve the condition of the thyroid gland.
- Monitoring the hormone levels is also required on a regular basis in so as to check for any type of abnormalities and also to serve as a basis whether or not our condition is improving.
- Carrying our daily thyroid self massages can also be helpful since it can stimulate the activity of the said gland. This can be done by simply massaging the gland with the use of gentle upward strokes and down the sides of the trachea (windpipe).
These are just some of the natural remedies or methods that we can use or do in order to treat or combat hypothyroidism per se and as well as the negative side effects it can bring to our the body.