Sleep is recognized as an activity wherein the body is able to rest and recharge its lost energy from the day’s activities. Although it is a natural process for our body to sleep; some people are still experiencing difficulties when it comes to doing it. Because of this, sleep is even considered by many as luxury since not all people are able to attain it in an optimum level. This can be caused by many factors; nevertheless, one of the most common is due to insomnia. Nowadays, many people are suffering from this type of disorder. Insomnia is defined as the inability of a person to fall asleep or maintain it. According to statistics, more than 50 million Americans are dealing with sleep disorders such as insomnia. Fortunately, there are still some things or methods that we can use or do in order to alleviate or eliminate insomnia. Below are some of the effective natural sleep remedies for adults that are considered great treatments for insomnia.
What is Insomnia
There are actually two types or classifications of insomnia namely the primary insomnia and the secondary or the comorbid insomnia. According to studies, 8 out of 10 individuals who are diagnosed with insomnia are classified under the secondary type. This classification is said to be caused by several factors such as illnesses, medications and as well as substance intake or abuse. On the other hand, primary insomnia is due to a long term stress and/or the experience of severe emotional situations.
Importance of Sleep
Sleep is indeed very essential for the mind and the body. Unfortunately, millions of people according to the National Sleep Foundation are having troubles in sleeping. No matter whether it is a problem of falling or staying asleep, any sleep problem can be a sign of an underlying medical disorder. It’s a good thing that there are already several natural remedies that can help lessen the severity or solve the problem or condition. Nonetheless, it is still recommended to seek for professional advice once prolonged sleep difficulty is experienced.
Natural Remedies to Improve Sleep
• Lavender – lavender is considered a type of plant or flower that is used by many for its aromatic benefits. Nevertheless, lavender is also found out to have natural sedative properties that can aid in slowing down or calming the central nervous system. Because of this property, the University of Maryland Institute has concluded that lavender can also be an effective treatment for sleep problems or insomnia. This can be used by incorporating 1 to 2 tsp of the herb into a cup of hot water, which can be a great substitute for tea. Essential oils can also be extracted from lavender, which helps in promoting relaxation and restful sleep. This can be used by adding a few drops of lavender extract to a warm bath in order to help inhale the aroma while sleeping.
• Valerian – Valerian or Valeriana officinalis is a type of herbal medicine that is specifically known for its benefits against sleep problems. This natural sleep remedy is a plant that originates from Asia and Europe. This wonderful sleep remedy contains a mild sedative that helps relieve a person from nervous tension as well as insomnia. Nowadays, valerian is already made into supplements that consist of the plant’s roots and stems.
• Melatonin – Melatonin is a single hormone structure that is naturally produced by the body and form in the brain by the pineal gland. This hormone is regularly used as an alternative to sleep remedy especially for individuals who are suffering from different conditions such as insomnia and jet lag. Other conditions such as ADHD, epilepsy and IBS or irritable bowel syndrome could also be treated with this type of hormone. If used as an agent for sleep problem, adults should take approximately 1 to 3 mg of melatonin an hour before bedtime. Melatonin should never be taken more than the prescribed dose. This hormone can be taken in different forms such as capsules, creams, lozenges and tablets; nevertheless, it is still best to consult a doctor for this matter.
• Passion Flower – aside from lavender and valerian, the passion flower is another herbal remedy that can be used as an alternative for sleep disorders. Also known as Corona de Cristo, the passion flower also consists of a natural sedative that is now used as a supplement. This supplement comes in a liquid or tablet form.
• Relaxation techniques – In case we don’t want to use herbal supplements to cure our sleep disorders, we can also rely on relaxation techniques in order to provide our body a restful condition that can lead to good sleep. Some of the effective types of relaxation techniques like yoga, meditation and guided visualization can be helpful in making the body calm and alleviate stress. This technique is already proven by many experts and has been supported by the National Sleep Foundation.
These are just some of the natural sleep remedies for adults that are already tried and tested by many experts and users all over the world. However, sleep should always be taken seriously which is why a doctor’s advice would still be highly recommended.