A good way to supplement posture support is to use a posture support bra or brace. While both provide the help you may be looking for, there are some subtle differences. In this article, we will discuss some of the differences and pros and cons between posture bras and posture braces.
First, we always like to reiterate that these posture under garments are much more effective when combined with best practice ergonomics and posture improvement exercises. See an ergonomics specialist or a good physical therapist for suggestions.
For a comparison, presenting in bullet style format is read the easiest:
- Posture bras are made exclusively for women, while posture support braces can be worn by either men or women.
- Posture bras are made to be worn under clothes; posture braces can be worn both over or under clothes.
- With the exception of some longline posture bras, a posture support brace is more bulky and harder to hide under clothing.
- Posture braces are sometimes made with latex, a consideration for those with related allergies.
- Posture bras come in many different sizes (just like normal bras) so fitting is very important. Most posture braces are one size fits all.
- Pricing wise, both posture bras and braces are comparable. Expect to pay more for a long line or “fancy” posture bra.
- Reviews indicate women prefer posture bras over braces, especially in the comfort area.
- Posture braces can be taken off periodically during the day for a rest, whereas that would be more difficult with a bra!
- You can probably work with 1-2 posture braces; for a posture bra, you would need to buy several.
Consider that (for women), if you use a posture brace you are committing to two pieces of under garment versus one. That said, posture braces provide some additional support since you have your bra plus the reinforced posture support brace.
Our recommendation is to go for the posture bra first since it is one piece of clothing only that you have to worry about. If it is not enough support, consider a supplemental posture brace. Thanks for reading.
What are Your Views on This? Leave a Comment