Maca is a native herbaceous annual plant of Peru and Bolivia. Its scientific name is Lepidium meyenii. It is cultivated for its fleshy hypocotyl which is popularly used as root vegetable and medicinal plant. Maca is widely distributed as herbal supplement which promises a healthy body for all who take it. What are the Maca powder benefits and why is it a healthy option?
Maca has been planted, harvested and used by people in the Andean Mountains for quite some time already. Historically speaking, maca was popularly used to trade lowland staple foods such as rice, corn, papaya, quinoa, and manioc. It was also used as payment for taxes during the Spanish regime. There are citations that say Maca is being used by warriors before going into battle in order to strengthen their body.
As a supplement, maca powder comes in either root extract powder or capsule. It is believed to enhance the strength of the body, rejuvenate it and enhance mental clarity. Maca root is rich in iron, magnesium, potassium, calcium, vitamins and fiber. Its calcium content is actually higher than milk. Other benefits that can be obtained from the use of Maca powder are as follows:
1. Relieves symptoms associated with menopause. Mood swings, depression, irritability and hot flashes are some of the disturbing symptoms women experience during menopausal period. These symptoms are reduced significantly when using maca powder.
2. Enhance sexual performance and help men deal with erectile dysfunction. Maca is known as “Natural Viagra” or “Peruvian Ginseng”. It helps normalize hormones in the body and improve sexual performance of both men and women. Maca powder produces serotonin in the body which is a feel-good hormone. In this matter, the serotonin acts as an aphrodisiac that enhance sexual performance. It also helps men with erectile dysfunction.
3. Steroid effect in the muscles. Maca have a steroid like effect in the muscles which promotes muscle growth without experiencing the side effects chemical steroid has. This is best for athletes and sportsperson who needs stronger muscles.
4. Decrease the amount of cholesterol in the body. Studies in animals have shown that Maca powder has the capability to lower triglyceride and cholesterol level in the body. This effect has been thought to reflect to human usage also even though there is no known study yet to prove this assumption.
5. Helps fight off osteoporosis. Since Maca powder has been known to have more calcium load than milk, it can be said that it can deal well with increasing cases of osteoporosis especially in women. Osteoporosis is caused by low calcium level in the body which can lead to brittle and weak bones. With proper and constant intake of Maca powder, osteoporosis would sure be eradicated in the list of conditions that affects the elderly.
These are some of the benefits of Maca. Before taking in anything, it is best to consult your physician about it especially for those who have maintenance medications to get rid of adverse drug interactions.