Our digestive system is designed in order to digest and metabolized food and as well as absorb all the nutrients that come with it. However, our GIT or gastrointestinal tract is also prone to experiencing problems. These problems can be caused by diseases, disorders or even simple the malfunctioning of the organs that compose the digestive system. Because of this risk, it is essential for us to know and understand the different types of foods that are recognized as non-irritating to the GIT and are considered easy to digest. Some foods are also essential for good digestion. So what foods are good for digestion?
• Yogurt – yogurt is one of the best foods that are good for digestion. Yogurt is in fact filled with many live bacteria. However, these bacteria do not cause harm to the body, instead they enhance the effects or the function of the GIT thus improving digestion. These are called the probiotics or the good bacteria which are vital for good digestion. Aside from its effectiveness in supporting digestion, probiotics is also capable of boosting the immune system as well as support the intestinal health. These bacteria help digest food by breaking down carbohydrates, fats and protein to make the digestion process a lot easier. These probiotics are also capable of enhancing the absorption of all the nutrients coming from the food. That is why in eating yogurt, we must make sure it consists of live and active micro-bacilli that can improve the condition of the GIT.
• Apples – another great food that can improve the digestion of the body are the apples. It is indeed true when we say that an apple a day keeps the doctor away since apple contains a lot of nutrients that can improve the health of the body and is also loaded with fiber that can hasten the digestion and prevent constipation. The fiber found in apples is known as pectin. This pectin also influences the growth of healthy bacteria in the GIT in order to enhance digestion. Apples also contain malic and tartaric acids that are effective in aiding digestion and preventing the fermentation of food in the intestines.
• Papayas – Papayas is another type of food or fruit that is considered beneficial for good digestion. Just like apples, papayas also contain high contents of fiber that can avoid constipation. This tropical fruit is also packed with high levels of digestive enzymes such as papain, which improves the digestion or protein. Aside from these, papayas are also high in antioxidants, beta carotene and other vitamins such as C and E, which helps improve immunity.
• Whole Wheat or Whole Grains – Most of us would think that carbohydrates are enemies to our diet. However, carbohydrates should never be eliminated in our daily food menu. There are some types of carbohydrates, such as the whole wheat or the whole grain, that are considered essential for digestion. Carbohydrates coming from overly processed breads and pastas are the ones that should be avoided; nevertheless, the carbohydrates coming from whole wheat is actually loaded with fiber and other vitamins. Aside from maintaining the blood sugar level, fiber rich whole grains are also effective in keeping us full, which works very well against over eating. So if ever we buy breads, pastas and rice, we must make sure that it contains 100% whole grain in order to get the benefits of this type of carbohydrates to our body.
• Avocados – avocados are also good fruits for digestion. Because of their rough exterior, avocados are sometimes called as alligator pears. However, the inside of this fruit is considered creamy, flavorful and very nutritious. An average sized avocado also contains 15 grams of fiber. Aside from this, avocado also contains other nutrients such as folic acid and potassium, which are very important for the heart. Avocados likewise contain fats which are monounsaturated and are considered essential to digestive health.
• Olive Oil – Olive oil is usually included in a lot of salads and pastas in order to enhance the flavor of the meal. However, olive oil is also considered vital to the human body. Aside from its great benefits for the heart, this type of oil is also great for aiding and stimulating digestion. A spoonful or two of this effective oil every morning is already capable of enhancing the function of the digestive system. Aside from this, olive oil also improves the absorption of nutrients in the body and just like avocados, it also contain monounsaturated fat, which is very easy to digest.
• Pineapple – Pineapple is one of the many fruits that aid in our digestion. Just like most fruits already discussed, pineapple also contain high amounts of fiber. This tropical fruits also contain bromelin, which is a protein digesting enzyme that is essential in the digestion. Aside from this, bromelin is also being experimented or studied for its anti inflammatory properties. Pineapple is also rich in vitamin C and other essential antioxidants.
• Fish – Fish is considered a super food. This is because of all the types of meat, fish is considered the healthiest with the most number of nutrients. We all know that fish contains protein and other essential nutrients for the heart and the brain; however, this food is also great for supporting digestion. Fish meat actually contains omega 3 fatty acids, which helps alleviates inflammation and improves the process of digestion in the body. Including fish in the daily diet can be very healthy especially cold water fishes like salmon, herring and/or tuna.
These are just some of the effective and healthy types of foods that can aid in the digestion of our body. Other types of foods that are also considered GIT friendly foods include lemons as well as some herbs and spices such as garlic, turmeric, basil, rosemary, parsley and cayenne. Adding these healthy foods in the diet can definitely bring countless benefits in our health. Aside from their rich contents of nutrients, these foods are also packed with essential substances that can improve the condition and the function of the GIT or the digestive system.