Strong and muscular looking arms are always very attractive to look at. Nowadays, more and more people are spending their free time at the gym in order to improve their physique, especially their arms. The arms are usually always exposed whenever we go out in public. This is one of the parts of the body that aren’t covered by any clothing. This means that any flaw or weakness in the arm is always visible by others. Because of this, improving the size and strength of the muscles in the arms has been a priority of many people. The triceps is considered as one of the muscles in the body that are very hard to target. Nevertheless, there are still some effective workout techniques that can help strengthen and enhance the mass of the triceps. So what is the best triceps workout for size increase?
Best Triceps Exercises
There are already many exercises that claim to improve satisfactorily the size and strength of our triceps. However, only some of these are proven fast and effective in their outcome. Below are 5 of the best triceps workouts that we could try in order to give the muscles in our arms the boost that we all want.
• Weighted Dips – The weighted dips are recognized as one of the most practiced triceps exercises these days. This is because of its effectiveness in adding overall mass to the triceps. In this kind of exercise routine, parallel bars are needed in order to target the said muscle. Nevertheless, this can also be performed using a gym bench. This particular workout targets the triceps brachii, which are the lateral and long heads of the triceps.This routine is very beneficial in developing the long and inner head of the triceps as well as the lateral and outer head while doing the mid and lockout portions of the lift.
In doing this exercise, proper body posture is important in order to correctly direct the stress towards the targeted muscles of the arms. This is why the head and the chest must always be erect while doing the lifts in order to prevent unnecessary straining of the other muscles. Full contraction at the top portion of the lift must be done while slowly lowering the body until it reaches a 90 degree angle.
• Close Grip Bench Press – Another useful triceps routine is the close grip bench press. This is considered an essential routine in adding thickness to the triceps. This involves a narrower grip compared to the usual bench press while placing a slight emphasis on the long head of the triceps. The lockout portion of the said lift also targets the lateral head making it a complete triceps workout routine
It is important that the core it tight while retracting the scapula by arching the back and digging the shoulder blades into the bench. This allows a good base for a lift and can support a large amount of weight.
• Floor Presses – Floor presses are also very effective in adding stress into the triceps even with the use of wider grips. With the use of a wider range of motion in the floor press, the chest is used less while the triceps are activated more due to the contact of the floor and the triceps while doing the bottom portion of the movement. This relieves the stress on the chest and adds more emphasis on the triceps particularly the triceps lockout.
This routine is best performed in a power rack. A spotter is always ideal in doing this workout. Nevertheless, securing the safety pins must be done in case of the absence of a spotter. We can also narrow the grip on the bars in order to add stress and activate more the triceps.
• Dumbbell Triceps Extension – The dumbbell triceps extension is another exercise that is effective in enhancing triceps mass. This is a great supplemental lift after doing heavier routines in targeting the triceps. This can also be use alternately with the weighted dips especially if parallel bars are not present. This workout places great stress on the long inner head of the triceps which can be felt even after 3 sets of 12 to 15 repetitions. This particular routine can be done while seated or overhead.
• Dumbbell Triceps Kickbacks or Extensions – The dumbbell triceps kickbacks is considered a popular finishing movement. Most body builders use this exercise in order to pump the triceps at the end of a workout. This routine adds emphasis on to the inner head of the triceps as well as the inner medial head, which is great for developing the peak of the triceps belly. This simple workout requires only the use of an adjustable bench or anything to place the hands for support while working out the triceps of the other arm. The torso must also be bent at a 45 to 90 degree angle while the arms at 90 degrees while the elbow is extended to contract the muscle.
These are 5 of the best triceps workout routines that we could try in order to improve the strength and size of our triceps. However, seeking for guidance from a professional gym instructor is always advisable in order to prevent any injuries while doing these exercises. These instructors are also capable of monitoring the effectiveness of the routines in order to provide better results.