A lot of us think that antiperspirants and deodorants are similar to each other. Because of this, we sometimes use these items interchangeably. However, antiperspirants and deodorants are actually quite different in terms of their purpose and effects to the body. For one, both solutions use different chemical processes for minimizing body odor. In addition to this, both skin products also use different kinds of ingredients. So before we decide upon which of these items is best for our use, we must first know the fundamentals on what is the difference between antiperspirant and deodorant.
Discovering More about Deodorant
- From the word deodorant itself, this skin product is used in order to prevent the skin from causing any unpleasant odor. It aids in the elimination of the bacteria, which is the primary reason why an unpleasant odor in the armpits occur. However, deodorants are not capable of preventing our skin from sweating. Instead, it works by removing any of the odiferous side effects caused by it (sweat).
- Another distinct quality of deodorants is that it can be used in different parts of the body and is not only limited to underarm use. Although underarm deodorants are the most used anti-odor products nowadays, deodorants can also be applied to different areas or parts of the body that can produce unwanted smell or odor.
- Deodorants are usually available in different forms. Some of the most common types or forms of deodorants are those that are in mineral, gel, powder, spray and/or cream from. In case it is desired to use deodorants for the feet, then the powder form is considered to be the most ideal. As for the underarms, deodorant creams and/or sprays are popularly used.
Discovering More about Antiperspirant
- On the other hand, antiperspirants are usually considered or recognized as a subset of the deodorants. However, the truth behind these items is that deodorants are used to prevent or mask unwanted smell while antiperspirants are utilized for blocking or preventing the skin from producing sweat.
- One of the main components of antiperspirants is none other than an aluminum-based compound. This particular compound is used because of its effectiveness in diminishing the production of sweat by the sweat glands.
- The antiperspirant works by entering the body through the sweat duct. This will then transform into a temporary plug that will block the passage of sweat in the applied area. This is similar to a cork the blocks the wine bottle in order to prevent the wine from spilling.
- One of the similarities of antiperspirants to deodorants is that they also come in various forms or a variety of materials. Some of the most common types of antiperspirants are those that are in gel, powder, cream and spray forms. However, unlike most deodorants which can be used in different areas of the body, the antiperspirants are mainly designed in order prevent sweating particularly in the underarms.
Other Differences between the Two Skin Products
Although antiperspirants are known to stop sweating, there are also other brands of this item that contain fragrance. This means that some antiperspirants are not only effective in blocking the sweat glands but are also capable of masking the odor. Most of us would definitely choose antiperspirants since they do not prevent excessive sweating, but they can also provide better fragrance in the underarms. However, some experts have concluded that deodorants are safer to use compared to antiperspirants. This is due to the fact that blocking the sweat glands in releasing sweat prevents the body from eliminating the wastes and other toxins from our skin. As we know, sweating is considered one of the natural ways of our body in removing wastes alongside urinating and defecating. Because of this, wastes or toxins will remain on the sweat ducts which can cause problems and other complications in our skin. This is the reason why skin experts suggest or recommend the use of deodorants instead of antiperspirants so as to prevent any skin complications from occurring.
These are some of the main or primary differences between deodorants and antiperspirants. Although deodorants are said to be safer to use compared to antiperspirants, it is still up to us to decide what kind of skin product we would prefer to apply on our body. Nevertheless, we should always think wisely and weigh in the benefits and disadvantages of both items before coming up to a conclusion. Good and proper hygiene is always important and necessary for our body; but we should always put in priority our health and as well as our wellness.