Wrist exercises are exercises that are used for treating common injuries in the wrist. The wrist is one of the most complex joints in the body. It consists of 15 bones and 27 joint surfaces with an elaborate system of ligaments for stabilizing and linking the bones . In the wrist, all muscles of the forearm come together to create a very precise and controlled movement of the wrist and hand possible, which is necessary for example to write. Nerves run along the wrist to the hand to provide the fine sense of the fingertips. Fractures, tendon injuries, nerve injuries may all occur in he wrist.
In a sprained wrist, your wristbands are stretched too far because of trauma by accidents. Sometimes there is a cartilage damage. The damaged tissue often causes swelling (fluid and blood). This creates pressure in the wrist, and that hurts.
Overloading of the wrist
An overuse injury to your wrist is a chronic irritation of connective tissue, tires, tendons and muscles around the wrist. Typically, the pain is on the inside of your wrist. This injury occurs when the load is greater than you can handle. This excessive load can result from:
- too difficult or too heavy exercises.
- many repetitions of hitting or pushing.
- overstretching the wrist.
- incorrect placement of your hands.
Prevention of wrist injuries
- Improve your technique
- Use protective material
- Wear custom made materials.
Perform the exercises calmly and watch out for pain – it is a signal to stop. Read the exercises carefully!
Stretching the wrist tractors
- Raise your arm stretched forward, with the back of your hand upwards, while your fingers are facing down.
- Grab with your other hand the back of the hand down and bend the wrist a little further until feel tension on the outside of the forearm.
- Hold this position 8 to 15 counts and repeat 2-3 times.
Strengthen the squeeze
- Squeeze 10-20 times in an old, softer ball.
- Repeat 2-3 times.
Strengthen the wrist tractors:
- Use this exercise for a light weight (0.5 kg max), support your forearm with your elbow slightly bent your knee with your palm facing down.
- In the initial phase, the weight should just beenough to hold (10-20 sec.) Without moving your wrist.
- Move your wrist in a later stage from the middle up and down.
- Make 10-20 movements and repeat this exercise 2-3 times.
These are some basic wrist exercises that will help you strengthen the bands and ligaments in your wrists. It will help prevent injury and is also very good to recover from wrist injuries.